Saturday, January 20, 2007

News Flash: Canadian Music Cool, Film at 11.

With a song in my heart and a ringing in my ears, I have returned from the Annual Stereophonic All-Ages show at Struts Gallery. Stereophonic is Sackville's annual music festival, put together by the extremely cool people at CHMA. Their logo is a pheasant, known far and wide as the most rocking of birds. But I digress. Tonight's show was a cavalcade of rock, starting with The Annex and West Ave, two promising high school bands. The next act, The Damnsels, is a three-piece punk band straight outta Moncton NB, whose show is pure, unadulterated energy; like a swimming pool filled with Red Bull and electric eels. The final act was Halifax's Jon Epworth and the Improvements, a veteran outfit who unleashed a hook-filled rock and roll attack on a packed house. Their banter was some of the evening's most memorable (particularly when Epworth compared himself to a mother hawk). A good time was had by all on this, the closing night of Stereophonic. Here's to 2008!

Other updates:

Saw Pedro Almodovar's Volver at the Sackville Film Society on Thursday. A well-acted, soapy comedy-drama about secrets, lies and murder. Great acting and direction, even though the script was a little uneven. Still, great fun, and there are many more great movies coming to the 'Ville.

----

I became part of the 'core' SUSHI group this week, which is lots of fun. SUSHI - the Sackville Underground Society of Housebroken Improvisers - meets twice weekly, once to practice and once to put on a show. If you're ever in the neighbourhood, stop by Hesler Hall Friday nights at 9pm and watch - its like Whose Line is it Anyway?, minus Drew Carey.


----

Steve Wozniak, the co-founder of Apple Computers (!) and the inventor of the personal computer (!!) lectured at Mount A on Tuesday. He basically spoke about his life up until about the invention of the Macintosh, and then fielded questions. Not quite what I was expecting, but it was fascinating for someone whose knowledge of Apple is limited to iPods and those "I'm a Mac" commercials.

I think I can just make out someone knocking at my door over the ringing in my ears, so I think I'll stop for now. 'Til next time...

No comments: