Thursday, February 15, 2007

Might as well Jump


If you recall my last post, I had some unfortunate backspace key-related issues which kept me from mentioning the JUMP campaign launch. If you don't, just scroll down a bit. Go ahead, I'll wait.



Up to speed? Excellent. Anyway...yes! The JUMP campaign. Basically, Mount Allison wanted to start a ten-year fundraising campaign (the 'quiet phase' of it started in 2004) with a bang, so the town closed off the streets to attempt a new mass-participation jump rope record. Whether or not the university will make it into the Guinness Book of World Records is up in the air, but the JUMP launch afforded me the opportunity to make a fool out of myself in front of hundreds of people. You see, I am a tall person - six-foot-something, to be exact. The skipping rope I used for the jump rope portion was made for someone much shorter than I. As you can imagine, the skipping didn't go too well; the rope would smack me on the back of the head, get tangled in my hood or feet, and even hit another, more successful skipper.

Me, before the actual jumping started (Photo from JUMP website)

But, I managed to get through the skipping without maiming myself or anyone else, so even if we didn't break the record, it was a huge success.

No comments: